East Moline Park Board meets to discuss old business, budget
Members of the East Moline Park Board met Tuesday, June 21.
The East Moline Park Board includes nine members who serve two-year, staggered terms. The board oversee all matters related to the creation, preparation and management of both public parks and recreation programs in the community.
Here are the meeting minutes as provided by the East Moline Park Board:
East Moline Park Board Minutes June 21, 2016
Stombaugh called the meeting to order at 6:30 pm in the East Moline City Hall Annex. Present: Ald. Almblade, ,C.Braggs, R. Cervantes, E. Gay, Michael Spencer, B.Stombaugh, W.Verschoore, Ald. Westbrook.(Alternate) Absent: , B.Anderson, Z Bergland
Stombaugh introduced new member Michael Spencer to members. All gave background summary and welcomed him to the board. Guests: William Johnson EMSSC Secretary’s Report: Minutes from May were reviewed. Motion to accept by Cervantes, 2nd by Braggs ,and approved by all. Treasurer’s Report: Verschoore presented review of ledger with little activity. Mentions $2500 spent so far in maintenance fund, $57,000 in Capital Improvement noting portion is restricted/dedicated to Millennium Park
Reports from Partnering Organizations:
William Johnson EMSSC, Ground maintenance. Provided update on activities. Currently have trials for 14 travel teams, Recreation club has 512 players, 42 teams. Upcoming Labor Day Tournament is big event. Talked about field changes required to keep up with National FIFA changes which include smaller size fields for beginners. Talked about delay in house at Jacobs part that is scheduled for burning and practice by EM firefighters due to asbestos abatement costs.
1) Concerning discussion of adult softball league continuation, a meeting was held between Stombaugh, Almblade and the Mayor. Mayor Thodos suggested Doug Strand as possible person to continue program. Stombaugh reported Mr. Strand had interest but wanted to wait until after school was out. Since then, Stombaugh was unable to have further discussions. Stombaugh will follow up with Mr. Strand and Marci O’Brien. In addition to finding a person to continue the program, Cervantes and Spencer will follow up with other individuals who might be interested. Almblade to develop list of responsibilities and distribute. Discussed making new contract to have equal expenses as other partnering organizations. Discussed mowing of Jacobs Grounds. EM cuts grass long and often not proper level for games. Soccer Club hires to cut to proper height. Ball league and Adult diamonds also cut by to proper height by league managers.
2) Stombaugh reported that Theresa Todd had e-mailed him, thanking him for fixing up a field and was delighted that her team had a place to practice. Board appreciates Maintenance Dept for their assistance in helping maintain fields for ball players.
3) Appointment of board member to represent East Moline on the Millennium park joint fund raising committee with Moline. Spencer expressed interest. Motion made by Cervantes, 2nd by Almblade for Spencer to represent EM Park board. All approved. Almblade to get contacts and relevant materials to Spencer. 4) Fishing Clinic Update. Almblade reported clinics are into 2nd week and going well with large groups expected from day care. Almblade rented portable toilet through July 12th as instructor has requested for participants. Cost $85.00. Noted that there is large amount of weeds algae, and moss making things difficult for kids to fish. Ideally, a pier would be nice. Guest W. Johnson suggested the unused floating ramps.
1) Discussion of Empire Park restaining wood surfaces. Almblade reported couple complaints on deterioration of Empire Park. Talked with Lambrecht and he provided cost of $1419,55 for 55Gal drum of oil based stain. Recommended pressure wash (2) persons and 5-8 persons using pump sprayers to paint. Need to do during week due to high use on weekends. Almblade want to know a contact at high school for art students wanting to repaint the animal figures. Talked about painting late August or on United Way Day of Caring.
2) Discussed the need to replace wear mats under swings. Almblade provide cost of over $9000.00 for appx 45 mats. After looking at funds, Verschoore made motion to use $5000.00 from maintenance funds 500- 4422-512.7 thru 514.1 to replace the most worn mats. Motion 2nd by Almblade. Voting in favor: Ald. Almblade, C. Braggs, R. Cervantes, E. Gay, Michael Spencer, B. Stombaugh, W. Verschoore, No objections. Motion carried.
3) Election of Officers:
Secretary –Motion to nominate Cervantes made by Almblade, 2nd by Braggs, Upon roll call, all voted in favor , motion carried. Treasurer – Motion to nominate Almblade made by Verschoore, 2nd by Spencer, Upon roll call, all voted in favor , motion carried President – Motion to nominate Stombaugh made by Cervantes, 2nd by Spencer, Upon roll call, all voted in favor , motion carried.
Motion to adjourn meeting by Almblade, seconded by C.Braggs. All approved. Time 7:22pm. Minutes by Almblade.