Moline Public Library holds regular board meeting, financial review
Members of the Moline Public Library board met Thursday, July 14.
The board oversees all matters related to the public library.
Here are the meeting minutes as provided by the Moline Public Library board:
MOLINE PUBLIC LIBRARY Library Board of Directors Thursday, 14 July 2016 Minutes
PRESENT: Wayne Smith, Gary Koeller, Regina Nelson, JoAnn Waldron, Dee Runnels, Diane Sommers
ABSENT: Sue Blackall, Scott Bull, Colleen Rafferty
STAFF: Bryon Lear, Sue Wheatley, Christina Conklin, Jennifer Christiansen, Kelly Giovanine, Lisa
Powell Williams, Deborah Shippy, Maribel Johnson
GUESTS: Mayor Scott Raes
I. Business Meeting Called to Order
President Smith called the meeting to order at 12:00 p.m. in the Platinum Room of the Moline Public Library.
II. Roll Call, Sue Wheatley, Recorder
Roll call was taken with Koeller, Sommers, Waldron, Nelson, Runnels and Smith present. Absent: Blackall, Bull, Rafferty
III. Approval of Agenda
The agenda was approved as presented.
IV. Approval of Minutes 9 June 2016 Regular Board Meeting
Koeller moved to approve the minutes from the 9 June 2016 regular Library Board meeting previously distributed by e-mail/mail to each Trustee. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously. Approval of Minutes 9 June 2016 Building & Grounds Committee Meeting Koeller moved to approve the minutes from the 9 June 2016 Building & Grounds Committee meeting previously distributed by e-mail/mail to each Trustee. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
VI. Director’s Report (Lear)
• Lear reported Eileen Ackerland, Librarian, is retiring after 23 years of service to the Library and citizens of Moline. A retirement reception will be held on Thursday, 21 July from 2-4 in the Gold room.
• The Cafe will start closing at 7:30 p.m. Monday – Thursday, due to issues with Cafe staff getting patrons out before closing. This will ensure the staff and patrons of the Cafe will be out at 8:00 p.m. when the Library closes.
• Library six-month projections have been completed and sent to Finance.
• The preliminary 2017 Library budget is due to Finance on 16 August. Lear will present the submitted budget to the Board at the August meeting.
• Lear will be on vacation the week of 18 July 2016.
• Lear congratulated Runnels on her appointment to the RAILS Board.
• The Board welcomed Diane Sommers to the Library Board. Sommers is replacing Sara Wynn.
VII. Financial Reports
The Trustees reviewed the list of library bills as of 30 June 2016. The payment of the individual bills, totaling $48,555.27 was approved and ratified upon the motion of Nelson. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
VIII. Committee Reports
A. Executive Committee (Smith, Koeller, Blackall)
B. Building and Grounds Committee (Bull, Koeller, Waldron)
The Committee met before the Board meeting to discuss landscaping and the City LED Upgrade Project.
• Landscape Proposal Recommendation This has been tabled pending Lear reaching out to the Park’s Dept. to discuss providing their services to do the proposed landscape clean-up.
• City of Moline LED Upgrade Project Recommendation Lear updated the Committee with a request from the City Council to contribute to the cost of the LED Upgrade project. After discussion, Runnels motioned to use $17,000, currently held in the Moline Foundation Annual Gift Giving Account, towards the Library portion of the LED project with the City paying the balance. The Motion was seconded and approved unanimously.
C. Policy and Public Relations Committee (Runnels, Rafferty, Sommers)
D. Art Committee (Nelson, Rafferty, Runnels)
IX. Unfinished Business
A. Long Range Plan – Vision 2020
Lear reported that Linda Wastyn, of Wastyn and Associates will conduct five focus groups with one being strictly Library Board. A doodle poll will be sent out to all Board members to check availability. When the majority has responded, Lear will send out an email informing of the date and time.
X. New Business
A. Appointment vacant Vice President position (Smith)
Smith appointed Koeller to serve as Vice-President due to the resignation of Sara Wynn. Koeller accepted the position.
B. Appointment vacant Policy & PR Committee position (Smith)
Smith appointed Sommers to serve on the Policy & PR Committee due to the resignation of Sara Wynn. Sommers accepted the position.
C. In-Service Day – 25 August 2016
Lear requested the Library Board to approve closing the Library on 25 August 2016 to conduct a library in-service to focus on the strategic plan. Runnels moved to approve closing the Library for in-service staff training. The motion was seconded and approved unanimously.
XI. Public Comment
XII. Executive Session
There being no further business brought before the Board, the meeting was adjourned at 12:38 p.m.
Approved: ____________________________________________________________________ Pursuant to the Bylaws, these minutes were prepared by Sue Wheatley, Administrative Assistant, and have been reviewed and revised by Wayne Smith, President of the Moline Public Library Board of Directors.
Organizations in this Story
3210 41st St.
Moline, IL - 61265