Board approves Moline Public Library's schedule
The Moline Public Library Board met Aug. 11 to discuss the library closing schedule for 2017.
Here are the meeting's minutes, as provided by the library:
The board oversees all matters related to the public library.
MOLINE PUBLIC LIBRARY Library Board of Directors Thursday, 11 August 2016 Minutes
PRESENT: Gary Koeller, Sue Blackall, Colleen Rafferty, JoAnn Waldron, Regina Nelson,
ABSENT: Wayne Smith, Scott Bull, Dee Runnels, Diane Sommers
STAFF: Bryon Lear, Sue Wheatley, Christina Conklin, Kelly Giovanine, Lisa Powell Williams,
Deborah Shippy, Michael Crawford
GUESTS: Ald. David Parker
I. Business Meeting Called to Order
Vice-President Koeller called the meeting to order at 12:04 p.m. in the Platinum Room of the Moline Public Library.
II. Roll Call, Sue Wheatley, Recorder
Roll call was taken with Koeller, Blackall, Rafferty, Waldron, Nelson Absent: Smith, Bull, Runnels, Sommers
III. Approval of Agenda
The agenda was approved as presented.
IV. Approval of Minutes 14 July 2016 Regular Board Meeting
Blackall moved to approve the minutes from the 14 July 2016 regular Library Board meeting previously distributed by e-mail/mail to each Trustee. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously. Approval of Minutes 14 July 2016 Building & Grounds Committee Meeting Rafferty moved to approve the minutes from the 14 July 2016 Building & Grounds Committee meeting previously distributed by e-mail/mail to each Trustee. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
VI. Director’s Report (Lear)
• Lear reported the new self-check-out computer stations are up and running. This was funded out of the Technology fund.
• Miller Trucking & Excavating should begin the detention project within two weeks or as the weather permits.
• Zahn has hung the new artwork, by artist David Rose, above the second floor elevator door.
• A fundraiser at Orange Leaf will be held sometime in August. Lear will let the Board know when he has a date confirmed.
• The Library will be closed on Thursday, 25 August for staff in-service. A portion of the day will be spent with Linda Wastyn conducting a strategic planning session.
• 31 August 2016 marks the Library buildings 10th anniversary. On 20 August a birthday bash will be held in the Children’s Dept. This will include free cake with ice cream provided by Vibrant Credit Union.
• The school with the most Children’s Summer Reading program finishers is Washington Elementary. The School will receive a $100 donation from the Friends of the Moline Public Library.
VII. Financial Reports
The Trustees reviewed the list of library bills as of 31 July 2016. The payment of the individual bills, totaling $47,512.95 was approved and ratified upon the motion of Nelson. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
VIII. Committee Reports
A. Executive Committee (Smith, Koeller, Blackall)
B. Building and Grounds Committee (Bull, Koeller, Waldron)
C. Policy and Public Relations Committee (Runnels, Rafferty, Sommers)
D. Art Committee (Nelson, Rafferty, Runnels)
IX. Unfinished Business
A. Long Range Plan – Vision 2020
Wastyn & Associates will conduct five strategic planning sessions in August. Lear is anticipating the plan to be completed by November.
X. New Business
A. Library Closing Schedule 2017 (motion to approve)
After discussion, Rafferty moved to accept the 2016 Library Closing Schedule as presented. The motion was seconded and passed unanimously.
B. Nominating Committee Appointment (Koeller)
Vice-President Koeller appointed Nelson and Blackall to serve as the Nominating Committee. The Committee will report back to the Board at the September Board meeting with the recommended slate of officers to service October 2016 – September 2017.
C. Library FY2017 draft Budget
Lear reviewed the draft budget that has been submitted to the City for approval.
XI. Public Comment
XII. Executive Session
There being no further business brought before the Board, the meeting was adjourned at 12:47 p.m.
Approved: ____________________________________________________________________ Pursuant to the Bylaws, these minutes were prepared by Sue Wheatley, Administrative Assistant, and have been reviewed and revised by Sue Blackall, Secretary of the Moline Public Library Board of Directors.