City of Colona Council met August 14.
City of Colona Council met August 14.
Here is the minutes provided by the Council:
Call to Order: 6:30 p.m.
Pledge of Aegiance:
The pledge was led by Mayor Lack
Roll Call: Mayor Lack, Attorney Mason, Aldermen Hillman, Feliksiak, Swemline, Holman, Shady-Dahl, Jones, King, Clerk Winegar answered present
Alderman Tapscott was absent
Staff Present: R. CrewW Public Works Director
K. Palmer Office Manager
M. SWemine Acting Police Chief
1. Alderman King asked what we learned from the DNR Biologist about the coyote issue? He stated that he had a report of a coyote walking down the middle of the street at 2:00 p.m. Acting Police Chief Swemline stated that the biologist was looking for abnormal behavior and what we are seeing is not classified as abnormal. It was decided that instances of coyote sightings need to be reported to the police and shared with the DNR.
2. Mick Painter and David Goertzen came to the meeting at 6:53 p.m. to make a scheduled public Comment. The Mayor allowed them to make their comment before New Business. Davin Goertzen requested that the Council allow E 7" Avenue to be closed between Greenview and Greenway this Saturday, August 19, 2017 from noon to midnight for the annual block party. There will be a live band from 7:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. The noise issue and complaints from citizens about the live music at Grease Monkey's was brought up. Mr. Painter stated they had been having this block party for several years and there has never been a complaint or problem. Mayor Lack said he would entertain a motion to approve this request. Alderman King made a motion to close E7 Ave between Greenview and Greenway from Noon to Midnight on August 19, 2017 for the block party. Alderman Swemline seconded. A voice vote of all ayes was received. Motion passed.
The Mayor gave a brief overview of the status of the sale of Stonebridge phase 2 to the new developer. The bank is still working on the transfer to the new developer and hopes to close before the end of the month. Kathy Orr, the City's TIF Attorney, is working on the Assignment Ordinance,
Approval of Minutes:
Alderman Hillman made a motion to approve the minutes from the City Council Meeting of July 24, 2017. Alderman Feliksiak seconded. Roll call: Aldermen Hillman, Feliksiak, Swemline, Shady-Dahl, Jones, King voted yes. Alderman Holman voted present which goes with the majority vote. Alderman Tapscott was absent. Motion passed with 6 affirmative votes, 1 present, 1 absent.
Alderman Swemline made a motion to approve Consent agenda items:
1. Treasurer's report for July 2017
2. Payment of manual bills for the period July 25 - August 14, 2017
3. Payment of bills for the period July 25 - August 14, 2017
4. Payroll for the period July 26 - August 10, 2017
Alderman Hillman seconded. Before the roll call was taken, Alderman Jones questioned why there were four $25.00 checks issued. The response was those were cleaning deposits for the Activity Center rental which were being returned. Alderman Jones also inquired about the fee paid to Attorney Lee regarding the Troutwine case and was that case closed. The Mayor replied that fee was for several months' work on that case and it was not yet closed. Alderman Jones then questioned a payment to Transmissions Plus for $419. Rick Crew responded that it was for a new alternator and a short in the wiring. Mr. Crew did not know why it was coded as cleaning. Roll call: Aldermen Feliksiak, Swemline, Holman, Shady-Dahl, Jones, King, Hillman voted yes. Alderman Tapscott was absent. Motion passed with 7 affirmative votes, 1 absent.
Finance/Administration Committee: (Alderman King, chair, Alderman Swemline, Hillman, members; B. Winegar, K. Palmer, J. Legare staff). A copy of these minutes is available at City Hall and on the City's website.
Alderman King made a motion to approve the purchase of a Sharp MX450 and a Sharp MX350 copiers for a purchase price of $7,291.00 with a monthly maintenance fee of $92.70; to move the Sharp copier from the office to the CSFP with a maintenance fee of $7.50 per month, and to let Access Systems dispose of the Canon copier in the basement at no charge to the City. Alderman Shady-Dahl seconded the motion. Aldermen Swemline, Hofman, Shady-Dahl, Jones, King, Hillman, Feliksiak voted yes. Alderman Tapscott was absent. Motion passed with 7 affirmative votes, 1 absent.
Public Works Committee: (Alderman Swemline, chair; Aldermen Feliksiak, Jones, members; R. Crew, staff). There were no minutes for this meeting. There were action items from the meeting which the Mayor covered.
1. Attorney John Remus addressed the issue of using the master meter to bill for Colona Mobile Home Park's waterisewer usage. He stated that he had sent a letter to the Mobile Home Park owner on June 12, 2017 informing him that the park was in breach of the contract it has with the City, dated 2005. He received a letter back for a local attorney on June 19, 2017 stating the owner disagrees he is in breach. Attorney Remus then sent a letter on June 28, 2017 suggesting the parties meet to discuss the breach issues. He has heard nothing back. He then stated that we had originally told the mobile home park we would begin billing them by the master meter on August 16, 2017. He suggested that the City move that date back 45-60 days. It was decided that Attorney Remus is to write another letter requesting a meeting, and if there is no action by the August 28, 2017 council meeting, a definite timeline to institute billing by master meter will be identified.
2. Alderman King made a motion to approve Ordinance O-17-13, Amending Ordinance O-04-10, Ordinance of the City of Colona Bar Screen Fund Dedication. Alderman Feliksiak seconded. Roll call: Aldermen Holman, ShadyDahl, Jones, King, Feliksiak, Swemline voted yes. Alderman Hillman voted present which go with the majority vote. Alderman Tapscott was absent. Motion passed with 6 affirmative votes, 1 present and 1 absent.
3. Alderman King made the motion to approve Ordinance O-17-14, Amending O02-12, Authorizing the Issuance of General Obligation Waterworks and Sewerage Refunding Bonds (Alternative Revenue Source) Series 2012. Alderman Swemline seconded. Roll call: Aldermen Shady-Dahl, Jones, King, Hillman, Feliksiak, Swemline, Holman voted yes. Alderman Tapscott was absent. Motion passed with 7 affirmative votes, 1 absent.
4. The Public Works Committee had discussed going back to November 2015 for payment of the unbilled uses for Colona Home Park. The Mayor stated there is a meeting later this Week with the owner, so a decision will be made after the meeting.
5. Alderman Shady-Dahl made the motion to approve paying the uncovered insurance portion of the bills to Blackhawk Electric and Hoye Well and Pump for the repair of the Silver Water Tower which was hit by lightning. The money will Come from the Cash account. Alderman Swemline seconded. Roll Call: Aldermen Jones, King, Hillman, Feliksiak, Swemline, Holman, Shady-Dahl voted yes. Alderman Tapscott was absent. Motion passed with 7 affirmative votes, 1 absent.
1. Alderman Holman made a motion to approve hiring Cobra Assistance to process employee Cobra policies. Alderman Shady-Dahl seconded. Alderman King pointed out that in addition to the $18 monthly fee, there are additional fees. Preparation of Cobra packages Cost S15 per package and there is a S3 per election notice for employees. Alderman Holman said his motion stood. Roll call: Aldermen King, Hillman Feliksiak, Swemline, Holman, Shady-Dahl, Jones voted yes. Alderman Tapscott was absent. Motion passed with 7 affirmative Votes, 1 absent.
2. Alderman Hillman made the motion to waive the yard sale permit fee for the city wide yard sales September 8-9, 2017. Alderman Swemline seconded. A voice Vote of all ayes was received. Motion passed.
Alderman King motioned to go into closed session per ILCS 120/2, Chapter 102, para 42, Section 2(c)(1) The appointment, employment, compensation, discipline, performance or dismissal of specific employees of the public body or legal counsel for the public body, including hearing testimony On a complaint lodged against an employee of the public body or against legal counsel for the public body to determine its validity. Alderman Swemline seconded. A voice vote of all ayes was received. Alderman Hillman was not present in the room and did not vote. The Council recessed before the closed session at 7:34 p.m.
The Council reconvened in regular session at 7:56 p.m. Roll call remained the same. Alderman Shady-Dahl made the motion to support the decision of the Office Manager in resolving the personnel issue discussed in closed session. Alderman Feliksiak seconded. Aldermen Hillman, Feliksiak, Swemline, Holman, Shady-Dahl, King voted yes. Alderman Jones voted no. Alderman Tapscott was absent. Motion passed with 6 affirmative votes, 1 no vote, 1 absent.
Alderman Hillman motioned to adjourn. Alderman Swemline seconded. A voice vote of all ayes was received. Meeting adjourned at 7:57 p.m.